Stem ginger and dark chocolate biscuits
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Serves: 28 biscuits
350g plain flour
2 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
150g unsalted butter, cubed
150g golden syrup
150g soft brown sugar
50g stem ginger, (around 3 knobs) drained and finely chopped
100g dark chocolate
1) Preheat oven to 160Cfan/180C/350F/GM4
2) Sieve the flour, ginger and bicarbonate of soda into bowl and rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs (or process briefly in food processor).
3) In a small saucepan, heat syrup and sugar until dissolved and runny, add stem ginger and then pour over the dry ingredients.
4) Stir with a wooden spoon to bring the mixture together to a soft dough.
5) Break off walnut size pieces (30g), roll between your palms and place on the baking sheet. Bake for 18 minutes until golden.
6) Remove from the oven, using a palette knife or spatula, and place the biscuits onto wire rack to cool completely.
7) When the biscuits are completely cold, prepare a baking sheet with parchment, melt the chocolate in a small bowl then dip the biscuits half way into the chocolate. Place the dipped biscuits on the baking parchment and then place the tray briefly in the fridge to set the chocolate.